[TowerTalk] Earth Ground: How good is good enough

Artek Manuals Manuals at ArtekManuals.com
Thu Sep 9 12:41:38 EDT 2021

I 've read a lot of articles over the years about ground systems and how
to build a good one. Most of them ignore actual soil conditions and few
talk about the differences between "DC/AC (Low Freq)/Lightning" and RF
ground vs frequency

But how do I actually measure it ?  And once I have this number how good
is "good enough"

Take my situation I live on ancient sandbar 65' above sea level In
Florida . Now this is practically a mountain in Florida and the soil is
so poor that below about 6" nothing but granular quartz exists, mostly
not even roots, a desert with a lot a rainfall.  The soil is so soft
that I can push the first 5' of a 10' ground rod in by hand. I often
wonder why my house doesn't sink into it and from a phenomena called
"sink holes" a  few house do.

So to coin a take on the old light bulb joke " How many engineers with
10' ground rods does it take to make a good  ground (RF ground in this
case@ 1.8 Mhz) and how will they know when they have enough 10' rods"

Dave
NR1DX

--