[TowerTalk] Cost Of Proper Gronding and Bonding

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Sep 22 18:03:02 EDT 2021

On 9/18/2021 10:03 AM, Phil Coley wrote:
> I guess all stations aren’t equal in protection due to a lot of factors.

Yes!

I am making changes/additions now that my income permits. It’s a basic
station that I can’t spend a fortune on making it totally protected (if
there is such a thing). May be cheaper just to give up the hobby.

I would assign priorities to bonding inside the shack, bonding to all
grounds outside the shack, and bonding feedlines outside the shack or
where they enter.

Most of the principles described both in my pdf and Ward's ARRL book are
inexpensive to implement. It's more a matter of understanding what
matters, what doesn't, and what are the right ways to do it.

Bonding inside our stations costs nothing more than time and wire.
Bonding outside our stations is more time, the wire (larger size), maybe
additional rods, and connectors (either clamps or CADWELDs).

Bonding coax where it enters our shack can be accomplished using the
very nice AS-300-series arrestors that Array Solutions sells, and he
shows a simple way to mount them to a driven rod that would, of course,
be bonded to the rest of our grounds. They also sell an arrestor for
2-wire line. AND -- the GDTs are user replaceable, and he sells
replacements. With Polyphaser, you get to buy a brand new arrestor.

I'm a serious contester and have a lot of land, so I have a LOT of
antennas (including six RX antennas with long runs of CATV RG6), so I've
mounted (with help from neighbor W6GJB) a bunch of the Array Solutions
arrestors in a large weatherproof enclosure, bought from the REAL
electrical supply house in town, which had multiple pieces of multiple
sizes in stock. It supplements an in-wall entry panel that neighbor K6XX
built for me in his shop that's loaded with Polyphaser feedthrus. In
addition the cost of buying a replacement, it's a 2-person job replacing
them. Now, when they blow, I'm moving the antenna to the new panel with
the Array Solutions arrestors.

73, Jim K9YC