[TowerTalk] tower climbing shoes or boots - suggestions needed

Ken Alker ka6ken at alker.net
Sun Sep 26 14:35:33 EDT 2021

I purchased the Redwing Loggermax 620.  They are taller than need be for my
application, but worked great.  They actually fit pretty well within the
Rohn 25G tower spacing.  I spent around 5 continuous hours on the W6RFU
(University of Santa Barbara ham club) tower atop the 5-story engineering
building yesterday removing a Force 12 and installing a Skyhawk DXE-3X10.
My feet feel just fine today (although the rest of my body is not in good
shape - my hands won't stop cramping up, my legs are dead tired, and my
arms and shoulders feel like they got the workout of a lifetime).  Thanks
again for all the help in finding good climbing footwear.

Ken Alker
KA6KEN

--On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 3:59 PM -0700 Ken Alker
<ka6ken at alker.net> wrote:

> Thanks!
>
> I found a shoe called a Carolina CA904 which is made specifically for
> linesman and has a "linesman" shank that "covers more area, is a heavier
> metal, is not ribbed, curls toward the ball of the foot and is
> anatomically correct" (meaning the shank is different in left shoe than
> right shoe due to curve).  It sounds like they really thought this one
> out well.  I am really drawn to it as price is reasonable ($220) and
> their customer service is great, but they are very hard to find right now
> and I want to climb this weekend.  Turns out we actually have a Redwing
> store here in Santa Barbara; I couldn't believe it; figured they were new
> but the salesman proudly told me they have been in same location for over
> 35 years; no ladders or climbing apparatus, however; very small store.
> The reps in the store were not very helpful (green non-climbing college
> kids), but calling corporate steered me toward their Loggermax 620 for
> $230 which has their "linesman" steel shank which is "wider than a
> traditional shank and designed for extra strength and support to
> withstand the riggers of climbing".  I may get those since I can try them
> on and buy them locally before the weekend, and since there is so much
> sentiment toward the Redwing brand on this list.
>
> Thanks for all the great feedback.  Keep it coming, if anyone has more
> comments!
>
> Ken
>
> --On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 5:47 PM -0500 towers at mhtc.net wrote:
>

>> Several reasons why I don't like them for tower climbing (and I DO have
>> several pairs of steel toed-shoes for operations where they are
>> desirable.....chainsaw work (actually have Kevlar, steel toed boots for
>> that), landscape work moving boulders that could crush your feet, etc.
>>
>> 1. Can put added stress on your toes, since zero flexibility there.
>> 2. Suck the heat from your feet in cold wx.
>> 3. Heavier
>> 4. Zero "give", which sometimes you might want to have, particularly on
>> the narrow tower like a Rohn 25, or even worse a Rohn 20. Same for the
>> BDX and other towers with no horizontal members to stand on.
>>
>> 73,
>> Karl
>> WD9BGA

>>> WD9BGA