[TowerTalk] ground plane problem help needed

Jim Pruitt jpruitt67 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 03:46:48 EDT 2022

This is just the mounting base that I used.  Then I used some aluminum
tubing I had (swaged so they fit into each other and clamped).  This was
not a complete CB antenna.  As I said,  it was just the base for one and
I added the vertical element (above the short piece in the mounting
base).  I use the mount to bolt it to a wooden post about 5ft off the
ground and run 1/4 wave radials (3 of them).  Since both base mounting
sections were identical I was surprised at so much of a difference
between the 2.  As I said,  the first one I used was resonant at 39mhz
and this one is 13.5mhz.  Resistance from the center contact (on this
second one) of the SO239 to ground is infinite (as it should be).
Resistance from center conductor of SO239 to vertical element is zero
(as it should be).  That is why I suspect there is a problem with the
plastic used to insulate the vertical element from the mounting bracket.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY