[TowerTalk] 40 Meter Beam Element Placement

Stan Stockton wa5rtg at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 10:44:45 EDT 2022

Everett,

Not sure I understand the question.  Assuming you are going to have the same length of boom on either side of the tower, your choices will be to have the driven element at approximately 22 feet or 26 feet from the reflector.  That’s a foot or so either side of the tower.

Electrically the R will be lower if you have the DE at 22 feet and a little more gain, I think. The tower should have little affect on performance regardless of which you choose.  DE will be easy to tune since it’s right next to the tower and can swivel so you can reach the ends.  If you have the tubing and want a flat SWR, 50 ohm feed and better pattern over a wider frequency range you might consider another director close spaced to driven element. Good thing is both elements will be easy to get to from the tower.

73… Stan, K5GO