[TowerTalk] Pipe for guy anchor

Jon Zaimes, AA1K jz73 at verizon.net
Tue Aug 9 13:58:36 EDT 2022

I've installed dozens of towers with elevated guy posts, for myself and others. Some have been in service 25+ years.
Steel I or H beams are my favorite, typically 3x6" size or bigger, 10-12' total length with 4-6 feet in concrete (weigh about 125-150 lbs). Typically bore hole with auger 8-12" diameter. Cut top at diagonal to accommodate turnbuckle attachment (see pic under "towers" tab on my website). Some have 5/8" threaded rod to hold the turnbuckle.
Earlier ones used 3.5 to 4 " steel pipe filled with concrete. 5/8" threaded rod for attachment. One of these had 2.5" pipe inside of it extending up another 8 feet or so to get lower guy above truck height across driveway.
Galvanized is nice but hard to find at local salvage yards. Most are painted.
Have used these on 100' Rohn 25, 45 and 55.
Local grain elevator has a massive I beam about 25 ft high for one of its guys to allow truck traffic to clear.
73/Jon
Jon P. Zaimes, AA1KTower climber for hireFelton, Delawarehttp://www.aa1k.us/Cell: 302-632-2353 Reviews of AA1K tower work on eham website: http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/12922 Hug your favorite tower every day, and always stay connected to it.