[TowerTalk] Pipe for guy anchor

gwj at me.com gwj at me.com
Wed Aug 10 12:53:35 EDT 2022

> From: Grant Saviers <grants2 at pacbell.net>
> Angles are a bad structural form to use as a cantilever beam. I & WF
> beams, round tube/pipe, and square/rectangular tube have FAR more
> resistance to bending and twisting per pound of steel.

Correct.
Please check out my spreadsheet at
https://na6o.com/main/Amateur_Radio_files/Cantilever_beam_stress_calc.xlsx

Scroll down the long list of different structural shapes and sizes, looking at the STRESS columns. You’ll quickly see which shapes and sizes will give you a safety margin, and which are most efficient in terms of strength/weight ratio. If the stress is 10 KSI or less with the maximum expected force, you should have a large safety margin, no matter what kind of steel is used.

-Gary NA6O