[TowerTalk] LIGHTNING PROTECTION TowerTalk Digest, Vol 236, Issue 21

Gene Smar ersmar at verizon.net
Sat Aug 20 16:50:02 EDT 2022

Pete:
     I took similar precautions on my rotator control cable. I wound six turns of the cable around some 2 inch pvc just underneath the rotator shelf and at the bottom of the tower, where it enters a steel box. I used zip ties to hold the wraps in place. IIRC, I read that here on TT decades ago, before I erected my tower. I have a polyphaser arrestor on that cable in another steel box outside the shack.
     I also have a single turn loop in the coax from a chimney-mounted vhf vertical antenna, per the instruction manual.
73 deGene Smar AD3F

Sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 model 100 laptop

  On Sat, Aug 20, 2022 at 12:40 PM, Steve Davis | Davis RF<sdavis at davisrf.com> wrote:   Yes to the turns, but you can never provide complete protection, so , as James said,  use Polyphasers.  When you compare the low cost of 3 of those per transmission line (top of tower, bottom, and at your entrance panel), it is a very small % of what I have seen for customers’  $  lightning damages, and then sold the Polyphasers to them… “you can pay me now, or pay later”
  Steve Davis,  K1PEK  DAVIS RF Co.          DAVIS ROPE AND CABLE, LLC

Saturday, August 20, 2022 at 12:00 PM
  1. Lightning protection (?) for Ameritron RCS-10 antenna switch
      (Pete Smith N4ZR)
  2. Lightning protection (?) for Ameritron RCS-10 antenna switch
      (Rob Atkinson)
  3. Re: Lightning protection (?) for Ameritron RCS-10 antenna
      switch (J. Hunt)
  4. Re: Lightning protection (?) for Ameritron RCS-10 antenna
      switch (Floyd Rodgers)

Message: 1