[TowerTalk] Joining sections of aluminum mast

Dave KØEKL k0ekl at outlook.com
Sat Aug 20 19:08:35 EDT 2022

To ease maintenance I want to relocate my rotator to the bottom of my tower.

The existing mast is 2" diameter ¼" wall 6061-T6 aluminum tubing. The rotor is 8 feet below the top of the tower / thrust bearing.

What is the best way to join additional lengths of tubing together to reach the bottom? I'm thing about buying tubing that is 2" ID, cutting it into 18" or 24" sections, slitting it and slipping it over the 2" OD sections to be joined and clamping with SS U-bolt clamps like those sold by DX engineering. Will this provide enough coupling friction between sections to prevent slippage?

Also, can I get away with using 1/8" in wall 2" OD tubing from the existing mast to the base of the tower or should I use ¼" wall all the way to the bottom.

Thanks.

-Dave K0EKL