[TowerTalk] Joining sections of aluminum mast

Dave KØEKL k0ekl at outlook.com
Wed Aug 24 18:41:02 EDT 2022

Thanks for your replies.

To answer some of your questions, the tower is 56 feet of Rohn BX. The rotator is a Ham-4, but there would be room for a larger rotator at the tower base. The antenna is a 3 element SteppIR 6 thru 20m.

I live on the top of a hill which slopes away in all directions. To the northwest 1/4 mile away is a 300 acre lake, the water level is about 200 feet below the level of the SteppIR. The prevailing winds, especially in the winter, are from the NW and with nothing to act as a wind block up here on the hill it's not unusual to experience gusts to 40+ MPH for hours or days at a time. This tends to chew up the brake slots in a Ham-X rotator pretty easily.

Another option would be to install a beefier rotator but I am getting older every day and having one less reason to climb the tower is appealing. BX-style towers are no fun to climb or stand on.
There is a Rohn thrust bearing at the top of the tower,  a rotor shelf 3' below the top of the tower which holds a sheet of Delrin through which the 2" mast passes, and a the Ham-4 is on a rotor plate 8 feet below in the second section from the top.

As intermediate mast supports I'm thinking of triangle-shaped sheets of Delrin with a slightly larger than 2" hole to check any horizontal movement of the mast.