[TowerTalk] Removing a K7NV Bracket that doesn't have the Spreader Bolt

Richard Smith n6kt1 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 2 11:26:06 EST 2022

 Thanks for this suggestion. I would not have imagined that this type of tool existed.
73, Rich, N6KT
    On Tuesday, November 29, 2022 at 10:39:02 PM PST, KD7JYK DM09 <kd7jyk at earthlink.net> wrote:

 On 11/29/2022 21:17, Grant Saviers wrote:
> A pretty handy tool not well known are set up or machinist wedges.
> Likely ductile iron so pretty tough.  3 sizes from Williams on Amazon
> search Williams WG-3 3-Inch Set Up Wedge

I needed to spread some rails in a project, was hoping to find wedges
with a threaded bolt, figured they couldn't be too pricey, boy was I
wrong.  They start in hundreds, and go to tens of thousands.  Sure, the
bigger ones separate pipes the size of passenger jets, but still seemed
a bit steep.

There are some inexpensive hand powered hydraulic ones out there, ~$100
and up.  I don't know how good they are, but ratings are consistently
higher.  In the end, I just used two crescent wrenches.  Separated the
rails, puts nice dents in them too!

Here's the manual hydraulic type I saw out there:

https://us.amazon.com/Hydraulic-Spreader-Separator-Commissioning-Replacement/dp/B07R9KG8X6/ref=sr_1_19?keywords=hydraulic+flange+spreader&s=hi&sr=1-19

A general search online for "hydraulic flange spreader" brings up this
type of tool from many sources.

Kurt