[TowerTalk] 16om vertical and the number of radials

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at me.com
Fri Dec 2 13:29:15 EST 2022

I suspect the main reason some folks disparage theory is the failure to take into account differences between the theoretical installation and their own.

Maybe Sevick put his short vertical in an open field and you set yours next to a metal shed. Perhaps Cebik used a non-conductive support and you hung yours from a metal tower. Perhaps Brown constructed and tested a choke for his vertical and you dismissed a choke as unnecessary.

73, kelly, ve4xt

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 2, 2022, at 12:21 PM, Raymond Benny <rayn6vr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> A good ham friend of mine in Southern California has been a broadcast
> engineer for most of his life.
> He has worked at several stations over the years, and by the FCC, he has to
> measure the field strength annually at set locations at various compass
> points and distances.
> At his last station they had to null out their signal in one direction so
> as to not interfere with another BC stations hundreds of mile away.
> Anyway, I do remember seeing their radial system, there were a lot,
> especially on their main TX tower. They used a smaller tower with a few
> elevated radials in the direction to attenuate their signal as required by
> the FCC.
>
> My story may not contribute to this dialogue but I found this all very
> interesting.
>
> Personally, for my 72ft top loaded 160m vertical. I have abt 80 radials at
> 67 ft and 135 ft long. I feel I have a decent signal on 160m but there are
> others that do beat me out in the pile ups. I am in the Arizona high desert
> and have poor soil conductivity.
>
> Currently, on my 80m 4SQ TX system I have 48 radial 67ft  per vertical. I
> use a Comtek controller, and noted that Comtek suggests 60  - 1/4 wave
> radials.
>
> Ray
> N6VR/W7YA
>
>> On Fri, Dec 2, 2022, 10:47 AM Mpridesti via TowerTalk <
>> towertalk at contesting.com> wrote:
>>
>> In addition to what Ed, N1UR suggests, I also measure the resistance
>> between the center conductor and the shield of the coax in the high meg ohm
>> scale of the meter. Of course you want an open circuit and you might see
>> this at a low resistance scale but problems that are attributed to water
>> egress are found in the high resistance scale.
>>
>> Over the years, I have found some feed cables to my verticals having high
>> resistance in the meg ohms. In most cases, cutting off the last two inches
>> and reterminate the ends solved the problem.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Mark, K1RX
>>

>>> On Dec 2, 2022, at 11:02 AM, Jorge Diez - CX6VM <cx6vm.jorge at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> OK thanks Paul
>>>
>>> how can you measure that a radial system is still good over the years?
>>>
>>> Maybe the cable is degraded, or is cutted in some points if animals are
>>> around.
>>>
>>> Is any easy way to determine that the radial system on a vertical antenna
>>> is still good?
>>>
>>> thanks!
>>> Jorge
>>> CX6VM/CW5W