[TowerTalk] 160m vertical and the number of radials

Rob Atkinson ranchorobbo at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 06:19:17 EST 2022

For US hams wanting to get a rough idea of where they land in the
ground conductivity lottery, you can look at the high def. FCC map and
either cheer or weep.  But, keep in mind, the boundaries were drawn a
long time ago so use as an approximation.
https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/m3-ground-conductivity-map

Up to a point, we are all at the mercy of our locations.  Only in the
past few years have I come to realize, that the ham out in the middle
of nowhere, with a clear view to the horizon all the way around, has a
significant edge with a ground mounted vertical, compared to the
fellow with a backyard antenna in town, or a ham located in dense
woods.  There's a reason why broadcasters cut down trees at their
transmitter sites and it's not aesthetics.

73
Rob
K5UJ