[TowerTalk] High power 2:1 transformer was Re: 16om vertical and the number of radials

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Dec 3 13:54:43 EST 2022

I'm not sure what your question is.
Do you want to compare how an UNUN is
constructed differently than a BALUN?
Or are you asking about my homebrew UNUN?

Any 50 to 22.2 ohm UNUN will basically consist
of a trifilar winding with the three filars
connected in series.  My homebrew UNUN
consists of a bifilar winding of coax.  The
shields of the two coax runs are tied together.
This effectively gives 3 filars: the two center
conductors, plus the paralleled shields.
Coax gives me closer coupling than I could get
with wire twisted together.

An UNUN gives you more bandwidth than the
popular L-C network

Rick N6RK