[TowerTalk] High power 2:1 transformer was Re: 16om vertical and the number of radials

Artek Manuals Manuals at ArtekManuals.com
Sat Dec 3 18:00:11 EST 2022

If you read N6LF's work closely (see fig16 in 3/2012 QEX) you will see
that radial height above 5' adds a few 10ths of a db improvement at
most. (8ft =.015 wavelength above ground) Given noise and QSB on 160
hardly worth the effort ..IMO.  Ditto on the number of radials more than
4 at a reasonable (8') height buys very little as well. What is actually
more important is soil conductivity  Rich farm loam vs sandy Florida
(Fig 15)  is worth 5DB !!! I cant imagine trying to keep sixteen 134'
radials 20 feet in the air !

Another good read on elevated radials ( non resonant radials) that
doesn't get much play is by K5IU, "Optimal Elevated Radial Vertical
Antennas" , Communication Qrtly, spring 1997. If Google is not your
friend contact me off list and I will send you a copy.

Dave NR1DX

Dave Manuals at ArtekManuals.com www.ArtekManuals.com