[TowerTalk] Reliability (or not) of SMA connectors

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Sun Dec 4 14:41:35 EST 2022

On 12/4/22 10:57 AM, Michael Tope wrote:
> A tiny blob of something really viscous (so it won't crawl up into the
> threads by capillary action) like 5 minute epoxy or JB weld would
> probably work. You could test it on a nut and bolt the same diameter
> to make sure it isn't too hard to remove.

Nail polish is viscous and readily available, and easily removed with a
solvent if needed. It's also not too brittle, so it won't crack with
small loads. Also because it's solvent based, it tends to work well on
fasteners with an oil film, because the oil goes into solution with the
solvent. You can also do color coding - red for this year, blue for last
year, or bands or whatever.

Probably any lacquer or solvent based paint would work.

I'm not sure I'd go with an epoxy - too hard to remove if you get too
much on. And, some don't stick well if there's an oil or grease film.