[TowerTalk] Reliability (or not) of SMA connectors

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Mon Dec 5 02:07:13 EST 2022

Geo, you make an important point about the purpose of the adhesive blob
that bridges the male connector nut to the threaded portion of the
female connector. I have seen it used that way in all the space hardware
that I've worked on (as well as on fastener heads). I've heard it
claimed that this strictly for inspection purposes (i.e. did the torqued
connector nut move after the unit was subjected to a launch level
vibration test?) and that it provides no significant holding power. I am
not sure I believe that, but non-withstanding it's contribution to
connector nut locking, it certainly does serve as an inspection aid.

When doing tests at work where RF phase stability is paramount, loose
connectors can show up as noise in the test data, so I make a big fuss
about making sure all the RF connectors are properly tightened. The
other thing I fuss over is making sure cables are properly strained
relieved. SMA connectors are small, so if the cable is heavy and/or
stiff it can easily impart enough torque on the SMA connector to loosen
it when things are being moved around or just from gravity. When using
SMA connectors in a ham shack, paying attention to those two things
without having to resort to adhesive staking should suffice in most if
not all cases.

73, Mike W4EF...............