[TowerTalk] Wireman W2DU Current Type Balun - Experience?

w2ay at atmc.net w2ay at atmc.net
Sat Dec 24 09:51:01 EST 2022

   Jim   If  interested  I  have  a   10  mtr  5  el  hy-gain  Yagi  for
sale .  The  antenna is  Pre  MFJ
  It  comes  with    " BALUN  DESIGN"   balun    Antenna is  very   clean  &

   No  bent  elements    I  had    this  antenna   for  sale  last year  (
along  with  other  yagis )     Antenna did  not  sell then  because  nobody
wanted to  make  the trip  to  coastal  No. Carolina to  pick  it  up
Since  then I  have  acquired    MFJ  shipping  boxes  to  ship  them.   If
interested ,  the  price is $275
  Again--  if  interested-  I  suggest  you  research    means  of  shipping
,  you pay  for  shipping and I  will  bring the antenna  to    that
shipping  org.   at my  end .
  Antenna  comes with  all  paper work .   After  69  years , I  don't  want
to  climb  towers  anymore.
                Other  yagis     for sale :
                     Hy-Gain   5  el  20  mtr Yagi  w/  Balun Design  balun
= $350
                     Hy- Gain  5  el  15  mtr  Yagi w/  Bal;un Design balun
- $300
                     Hy- Gain 5  el  12  mtr  Yagi  w/ Balun Design   balun
- $275
                        All    yagis  come  with   paper  work

                                ...  Bill / w2ay

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wireman W2DU Current Type Balun - Experience?

On 12/23/2022 4:35 PM, Richard Smith wrote:
> I'm looking to build a couple of 10 meter yagis and want to use a current
type balun (choke balun). I see the offering by The Wireman for a W2DU
Current Type balun. Does anyone on this reflector have experience with these
baluns, either good or not-so-good experience?

My analysis of W2DU's designs begins with slide 55 of this pdf.

http://k9yc.com/CoaxChokesPPT.pdf

Note that many (most?) things sold as a W2DU balun are either his cheapest
design which has not nearly enough beads -- poor choking, poor power
handling -- or uses a different mix. I don't recommend any of them.

73, Jim K9YC