[TowerTalk] Prosistel 61D

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Sat Dec 24 22:47:29 EST 2022

If the worm wasn't engaged, the rotation would be uncontrolled.  Since
it has 50 degrees of free motion it is likely one or more teeth from the
wheel or worm are broken, mostly likely wheel since the rotation is
limited.  More teeth might get broken as the antenna free spins into one
tooth as a hard stop against the worm.  I would think they designed the
worm/wheel contact angles so the worm could not be turned by torque from
the wheel.

Happened differently in my Orion 2800 last month, the drive gear held
and a tooth broke off the large gear on the output shaft.  There was
about 30 degrees of free antenna motion and the same GH error message.
The root cause was free play in the output spline which allowed too much
backlash ultimately braking a gear tooth.

Grant KZ1W

https://www.motioncontroltips.com/when-are-worm-gears-self-locking-and-where-is-this-useful/