[TowerTalk] Wireman W2DU Current Type Balun

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sun Dec 25 15:00:46 EST 2022

On 12/25/2022 8:15 AM, Lux, Jim wrote:
> The material datasheet claims 20% uncertainty in the properties
> (although I don't know if that is "run to run" or "piece to piece within
> a run") - They're sintered from a powder, and having just looked a a
> bunch of micrographs of gas line filters made using a similar process, i
> was surprised how much variation there is in that process, within a batch.

I accumulated a stock of 100 or so cores purchased from different
vendors over almost 15 years. They included one that was a
pre-production sample from 2004-5. As part of my process, I
characterized all of those cores by measuring the "same" winding on each
of them, and tabulating complex data at selected frequencies. Cores were
generally not labeled by purchase date, except for group of recently
purchased cores.

After completing work on the Cookbook, I decided to try to evaluate
Steve's recommendations for chokes on #52 material, and purchased 40 of
those cores, buying 10 from four industrial vendors over about 8 weeks.
I repeated the characterization process, selected four cores at limits,
wound and measured chokes based on Steve's designs for single core and
two core chokes. I could not repeat any of Steve's recommendations with
those "limits" cores.

73, Jim K9YC