[TowerTalk] Horizontal Dipoles

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Mon Jan 10 19:40:48 EST 2022

On 1/10/22 4:10 PM, Don wrote:
> Question for the antenna gurus on this site.
>
> I don't have any modeling SW nor experience with such SW. With that
> known, I have a question about a horizontal 1/2 wave dipole at a
> single height.
>
> I understand the radiation pattern for a straight dipole, old school.
>
> What I want to know is the pattern when a dipole has one leg 90
> degrees from the other, again at a single height (not an inverted V).

Like a V, all in a horizontal plane?

You'll see this sometimes referred to as a skew dipole.

It has a dipole like pattern, oriented broadside to the "opening" of the V.

The phase center is about 1/3 of the way down the V.  The gain is
slightly lower (A perfectly straight dipole is 2.1 dBi, an infinitely
short dipole is 1.5 dBi, a V is somewhere in between)

The impedance is closer to 50 ohms (a spread of 120 degrees puts you
right around 50 ohms as I recall)

They're pretty common on LPDAs for higher frequencies (TV receive antennas).

If you want omni, that's done with a turnstile (3 or 4 dipoles in a
circle).  See, e.g., BigWheel antennas for VHF and UHF, or a Lindenblad
(for CP omni)