[TowerTalk] Topband: Radials on ground v FCP

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed Jan 12 15:34:31 EST 2022

On 1/12/2022 11:49 AM, Ignacy Misztal wrote:
> N6BT made measurements on 40m. He found that radials inches of the air are
> much better than many more on the ground. His QTH is OR with very good soil.
Hi Ignacy,

I think you may be confusing N6BT with N6LF. Both are serious engineers
who combine design and modeling with experimental work.

N6BT is a contester and antenna mfr, and has done lots of work with
respect to temporary contesting setups on the beach, and more recently
on a test range in western AZ. He was the original owner/designer of
Force12, current company is Next Generation. He self-published a very
informative essays as "Array Of Light," which includes details of many
of his designs and design techniques. N6LF is the guy based in OR whose
work you've cited a small fraction of.

I wouldn't describe K2AV's signal in NorCal as "great" compared to other
NC stations, who are always louder. I view his FCP as a compromise
solution for those for whom radial systems are not practical. The FCP is
a quarter-wavelength wire, folded. Two of my neighbors have rigged it at
their stations.

I don't see physical logic for why an FCP would be better at high angles
than low. In principle, it provides a counterpoise that minimizes
coupling of loss from the earth beneath it, but it fails to serve the
other function of radial systems, to shield the antenna field from the
lossy earth surrounding it.

73, Jim K9YC