[TowerTalk] FCP on 160

Ignacy Misztal no9e at arrl.net
Tue Jan 18 15:29:11 EST 2022

W8JI writes that inv L with short radials is similar to a low bent dipole.
Low dipole has a high angle of radiation.

While the accuracy of modeling horizontal antennas is high, those of
vertical antennas is less so because of great dependence on ground
characteristics and software deficiencies in modeling elements close to
the ground. For instance, modeling reflects a 1 db difference but the
reality is 8 db. So FCP may be a great choice in some QTH and less so in
others. The best way to find out in a specific QTH is to experiment by
having another antenna for comparison.

Even lousy antennas make DX under good conditions. I worked VK6HD with a
80m dipole even though it was some 10 db below an inv L.

Ignacy NO9E