[TowerTalk] FCP vs On ground.txt

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Jan 21 18:54:06 EST 2022

On 1/21/2022 12:58 PM, W7TMT - Patrick wrote:
> I think sometimes comments like the one that triggered this thread are not meant as disrespecting or ignoring technology but rather just a reflection of the realities many of us face. We put up what we can, get on the air, and work what we can.

Yes. I've often advised hams to do the best they can and call CQ.

I've always viewed all engineering as applying science to solve
individual problems, and that great engineering includes the art of
compromise as the design constraints dictate. My technical writing has
always been in the interest of giving hams the information on which to
base these decisions.

Imperfect SYMMETRY of 4-square array has relatively little effect on
forward gain, but can STRONGLY fill in nulls. In other words, as far as
"loud" is concerned, more is better, especially with on-ground radials.
Let's say, for example, that real estate (or buildings) prevents running
radials outside its blueprint. In that situation, adding radials within
the blueprint would still reduce ground losses. Not ideal, but as a
recent President often said, "better is good."

73, Jim K9YC