[TowerTalk] FCP vs On ground.txt

Jeff Blaine KeepWalking188 at ac0c.com
Fri Jan 21 19:50:20 EST 2022

Dave,

There are a number of articles that reference non-1/4 WL radials and the
benefits.  That made complete  sense to me and the verts and 4sq that I
built were made purposely with lengths not on quarter wave marks for the
reason you mention.  I forget where I saw this mentioned the first time,
but I want to say it was an article from the 70s.  So it's not a new
idea.  Never measured currents as you did but I did "tune" all over the
radials to the same Fc with the assumption that they would distribute
the currents well enough.

The funny part is that I must have had 20 guys ask me about the non-1/4
WL choice.  And I think 19 of them went away unconvinced. The lore
driving a quarter wave elevated radial length is just impossible to
overcome.  Yet a guy can see the cost/benefit for various lengths in the
N6LF article.  Fig 15.

Congrats on your build.

73/jeff/ac0c
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie