[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 229, Issue 18

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Sat Jan 22 16:24:39 EST 2022

On 1/22/2022 12:40 PM, N4IJ wrote:
> I hear this all the time that a high dipole will outperform a vertical over
> poor soil - but many people put verticals up to get some sort
> of DX capable antenna up because they don't have a way to get a high dipole
> up, so they try to get their vertical to work as well as they can.

Yep. The name of the game is to study your real-estate, available
sky-hooks for wires or mounting spots for other antennas, and use your
understanding of what antennas are likely to work best given those
limitations. One of the things I enjoy doing is helping another ham
study these factors at his or her QTH and suggest what I think are good
options.

73, Jim K9YC