[TowerTalk] How to mod a 40m 4-square for 10m use?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Jan 22 20:09:26 EST 2022

You've asked this question before in a different form.  Check the
archives for the prior thread.

> I'll PRESUME the capacitors need to be a different value in the
> exterior switch box, but to what?...anyone have a schematic for a
> Comtek 4-square? (the outdoor portion)
You will need to change *both* the capacitors and the inductors.
Formulas for both inductors and capacitors are here:

<https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Transmission-line-and-lumped-element-based-a-90-coupler-and-b-phase-delay-cell_fig2_224208944>

The inductors should probably be wound as a bifilar pair on a properly
sized toroid core for the desired power level.

As an alternative, you could replace the lumped circuit with a coaxial
"rat race" as shown in the upper left of that same reference.  Since
50/(2)^.5 = 35 Ohms, the two "horizontal" legs can be a pair of 75 Ohm
cables in parallel with only minor impact.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV