[TowerTalk] Mast install help

N1BUG paul at n1bug.com
Mon Jan 24 12:00:14 EST 2022

I just did this with a 22' 2" OD chromoly mast a few months ago. I had a
20' length of 2" schedule 80 6061 aluminum pipe (2.38" OD) so I made a
long gin pole out of it. With 5' clamped to the tower, I had 15' above.
I attached the rope to the mast 12' up from the bottom which allowed the
mast to hang nice and vertical going up, and it did not need to be
inverted. I had no problem at all dropping it into a thrust bearing
already installed in the tower. Just to be sure all was well, I guyed
the top of the long gin pole. I'm not sure if that was necessary but it
made me feel better.

How I raised the gin pole working alone is another story.

Paul N1BUG