[TowerTalk] Reflector in the back of shunt tower for 160m

VE6WZ_Steve ve6wz at shaw.ca
Thu Jan 27 12:19:32 EST 2022

Ignacy,

I did notice that you were planning for elevated radials.
Be aware that the gain and F/B of the array is very sensitive to parasitic loss.
Ground loss will quickly diminish the current in the parasitic and the gain will crash.
It’s easy to model this.  Just include a series resistance in the parasitic element and watch the gain and F/B drop.

Field measuring the gain with on air tests can be difficult.  With only 3 or 4 dB forward gain compared to the single vertical, it can be very hard to measure.  Even using RBN reports, QSB can easily mask this small change.
However, 3 dB is, well…..3dB and it's like doubling your TX power.  For the really weak QSOs, when your signal is just bubbling around the noise, that 3dB can make the QSO.

I recommend you read about my tuning method. It is not a trivial process to tune the parasitic to match the model.

73, de steve ve6wz