[TowerTalk] Reflector in the back of shunt tower for 160m

Ignacy Misztal no9e at arrl.net
Sat Jan 29 11:43:40 EST 2022

I redid the simulations. WIth actual dimensions, the gain was 3 db
lossless, 2 db with 10 Ohm of extra resistance, and 1 db with 20 Ohm extra
resistance.

It took 3 hrs to make the reflector.I adjusted for resonance by feeding the
antenna with a wideband noise generator and receiving with beverages in the
back. The maximum F/B was only 6 db. Gain measurements were with KX3
located some 500 from the antenna; KX3 has a signal meter with a 0.1 db
resolution. The maximum gain was 1.7 db! Not perceptible and it did not
make any difference in the 160m contest.

Some of the loss is in a toroid coil made of type 2 material. It shows a 6
Ohm resistance. Perhaps can drop to 1 Ohm with air coils as used by Steve.

Ignacy NO9E