[TowerTalk] Tashjain Towers LM470 Remote tower raising control

Ken K6MR k6mr at outlook.com
Sun Jul 17 15:05:53 EDT 2022

When the LM470 was produced by TriEx, I worked for W6HX who was a TriEx dealer and installer in Los Angeles.  We built the remote systems for the LM470 that TriEx sold.  Basically two big 4 pole relays to switch the motor leads plus the control box to switch up/down and indicate when the tower was fully up or down. The control box used a 4 wire cable (I think) to connect the tower to the inside control box.

The critical part of the control box was two time delay relays to be sure the motor had stopped before reversing directions.  The motor will keep going the same direction if you suddenly try to switch directions because the centrifugal switch on the start windings is open when the motor is running.  The other critical parts were limit switches on the top and bottom of the first section to stop the motor and indicate fully up and down.

Pretty simple device, but you have to think about failure modes.  The motor and winch are strong enough to snap the lifting cable if for some reason it doesn't stop when the tower is fully extended.  I've seen it happen with the manual switch since there is no protection other than the operator on the switch.  It makes a mess of the tower.

Ken K6MR