[TowerTalk] Tashjain Towers LM470 Remote tower raising control

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Sun Jul 17 16:57:00 EDT 2022

On 7/17/22 11:51 AM, John Langdon wrote:
> I was advised years ago by one of my trusted "Elmers" who had lots of experience with radio gear in the Navy that it is better to cut a window in your radio room than take a risk of an unexpected or uncontrolled motion of a tower.  I was also advised when I was in the wind turbine business (very briefly) that the most dangerous thing in the modern world is an electrical engineer controlling a high power mechanical system!
>
> 73 John N5CQ

I would say a "rookie electrical engineer".

One acquires valuable experience in the design, build, test, and use
process, and one hopes that there are not any (severe) injuries.
Electrohydraulic systems and big electric motors can exert astounding
forces.

Similar things can be said about High Voltage or high RF power. To this
day, I cringe a bit when someone reaches into a powered on complex
digital logic system (max voltage 5V) with a bare hand and scope probe,
even though I do it myself, and I know it's "safe"