[TowerTalk] Stack-matching

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Tue Jul 19 19:26:45 EDT 2022

> On 2022-07-19 4:34 PM, Lee Hiers wrote:
> >
>> Does anyone know of a commercial stack-matching box (for 2 antennas)
>> that will send the unselected antenna to another port?
> MicroHAM stack Switch would do that for two or three antennas. AFAIK,
> the product has been discontinued.
>
> I believe the Array Solutions Stack Match will do that *with* the
> optional external relay.  However, since I don't use those products
> I suggest contacting the manufacturer for details.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV
>
> On 2022-07-19 4:34 PM, Lee Hiers wrote:
>> Hi all...
>>
>> Does anyone know of a commercial stack-matching box (for 2 antennas)
>> that
>> will send the unselected antenna to another port?  As in: I'm using the
>> high antenna on radio A, and that makes the low antenna available for
>> use
>> on Radio B.  And vice-versa.
>>
>> I envision two antenna connections and a stack output and an alternative
>> output...something along those lines.
>>
>> I thought I'd seen a commercial product that did this, but I can't
>> find it
>> now.  I'm sure something could be rigged up using external relays
>> (and I'd
>> love to hear from anyone who's done that as well), but I would like to
>> evaluate other options.
>>
>> Thanks,

Some other things to think about are "port to port isolation" and "fail
safe" .

You want to structure the switch matrix (e.g. if using SPDT switches) so
that the radios are always isolated from eachother.

If all you have is 2 antennas and 2 radios, what you want is a "transfer
relay" or, in microwave parlance, a "baseball switch", or for DC motors,
a "reversing switch".  It's a DPDT set up to swap paths.

THey're available surplus for moderate powers (and, I suppose high
powers), but they're designed so that you never inadvertently have
output from Radio A going into Radio B.