[TowerTalk] Stack-matching

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Tue Jul 19 21:00:17 EDT 2022

> Jim,
>
> The question wasn't about a transfer switch ... it was about
> a stacking switch that would allow the antennas to be fed to
> separate rigs when not used as a stack.
>
> 73,
>
>    ... Joe, W4TV

That wasn't entirely clear from the question..

Yeah, if you need Radio A connected to Antenna 1, or Antenna 2, or Both;
and the same for Radio B.

I'd do it with 2 SPDT relays, because it's "foul up proof".  The common
terminal goes to the antenna, the two switched ports go to the radios,
with a T.

That way, no matter what state the relays are in (or if they get stuck),
Radio A is never connected to Radio B.

If you do it with a pair of 1xN switch made up of SPST switches, then
you have the risk of a stuck relay (or incorrect switching signals)
connecting two radios.  You could probably do it with a pair of 1x3
switches, and be "one stuck relay safe", but you still have the "wrong
switching configuration" failure mode - with DC coils and some diodes,
and some small signal relays, you could probably work out something that
is failsafe.    Another scheme for safety (used in HV circuits) is
grounding relays - you may wind up transmitting into a short, but at
least the receiver doesn't blow up.

The whole "how do I connect N radios to M antennas" and keep good enough
isolation, be fail safe, etc. is an interesting problem, especially when
you're trying to use inexpensive surplus.