[TowerTalk] Long Term Connector Reliability

NN4TT Dave Clausen nn4tt1 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 23 15:26:51 EDT 2022

I got so long-winded with the weatherproofing description that I totally
forgot to add my $.02 about connectors.  N connectors are great, especially
if you're running above 50 MHz but I would have to agree with a couple of
other folks, if you are running HF and high power, N connectors might not
be the best. Buy the best quality PL259 you can. I know you can find tons
on Amazon and eBay with gold pins but that's probably not a good choice
considering that probably every antenna manufacturer or anybody who's
making a balun with an SO239 is NOT using the female equivalent gold plated
socket type. Amphenol 83-1 SP is a go to for a solder type connector.
Personally, I have been using Times Microwave crimp or captivated center
pin connectors for years. Easy to install, excellent repeatable quality.

I guess the point here is if you use an excellent quality connector and
prepare the weatherproofing correctly, there should be zero issues in that
joint unless you take a direct lightning strike or the antenna fails under
high power and the connector flashes over.

As far as additives like coax stuf or penetrox or silicone things like that
that you could put inside the connector, IMHO, don't put anything in there
at all. Metal to metal contact. No corrosion is going to happen if it is
100% sealed from the outside.

73
Dave
NN4TT

Sent from my not-so-new OnePlus 6T on T-Mobile.