[TowerTalk] Johnson Matchbox Question

Tom Hellem tom.hellem at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 10:50:27 EDT 2022

Rob-
I think you are on to something. My tuner still has the link (primary) coil, but the relay has been removed, and the lone tap is one turn or so from the grounded end, which as you suggest is for a coaxial input according to the schematic.
I am using the Matchbox to tune an 80 meter dipole fed with a roughly 90 foot piece of 450 ohm window line. My VNA indicates the impedance at the tuner end of the line to be 63-j132 on 80 meters, where I seem to have the most trouble getting a perfect match with the tuner. With the cover off I can see that C-2 is maxed on the upper (ungrounded) section. My best match is around 1.5:1 swr, and it gets worse from there depending upon the weather.
Thoughts?

Tom
K0SN