[TowerTalk] M2 Orion cable

George Skoubis geo.skoubis at gmail.com
Wed May 4 15:29:15 EDT 2022

What Scott / W5WZ says…

The manual does mention using shielded coax on the sensor lines for long runs. It says the square wave signal sent by the position sensor can be distorted over long runs with just shielded cable.  Not sure if it was the controller manual or rotor manual.

The DC conductors just need to be large enough to carry the current without too much voltage drop.

I used this arrangement (RG6 Lowe’s coax) when my shack was 300 ft from the tower (plus the distance up the tower to the 2800).

After changing a couple of the 2800 reed sensors I switched to a 4O3A Rotator Genius controller at the tower base and magnetic/compass direction sensors on the boom.

Now I use shielded / flooded Ethernet cable for the magnetic sensor and irrigation wire (Sprinkler World) for the DC power.  Use stranded wire at the rotor loop if you get the solid conductor irrigation wire.

 I used the irrigation wire as I had a leftover spool from my landscaping project when we put in a new well and irrigation system.

73,

George / W7GES

Sent from my iPad