[TowerTalk] Antenna in attic

Mike Smith VE9AA ve9aa at nbnet.nb.ca
Tue May 17 16:32:39 EDT 2022

25 yrs ago I had an attic dipole antenna in an apt building (4th floor), but
to avoid tuners, I made it a multiband “fan” type dipole.
I kept it as far away from metal (and the roofing shingles) and whatnot as
possible, but don’t remember extensive tweaking to get it w/i reason on most
bands.  I had it snaked in a roughly “S” pattern throughout the whole attic.

Of course, I had (and probably gave) RFI to/fr my neighbours, so I kept
output at QRP levels.

Was not the quietest antenna I’ve ever used but I worked all kinds of stuff
on 6m thru 40m at 5 or 10watts.

As long as you set reasonable expectations, I am sure your friend will be
work some louder stations.  Myself, I could not be content to only having an
antenna for a single band at a dwelling.

73

Mike VE9AA
p.s.-recently I bought a KX2 and KX3 and set them up inside my house here on
“test” antennas.  The noise levels on 15-20-40 (only bands tried) with
inside antennas

are near deafening no doubt due to switching power
supplies, computers, routers, modems, clock circuits etc.  It (probably)
won’t be a “quiet” experience for your friend.

Mike, Coreen & Corey
Keswick Ridge, NB