[TowerTalk] Fw: Feeding single band HF yagis 500+ ft from the shack

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Wed May 18 11:34:17 EDT 2022

On 2022-05-18 10:51 AM, Kim Elmore wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that there is no such data set in existence and I
> don't know of a good way to collect one.

I expect there is sufficient data available from the WSPR folks
(WSPRnet) for WSPR or from the RBN for CW.  While the signal
strength data is SNR and not purely dBm, in both cases you will
find a very well defined minimum SNR such that a 1 dB decrease
in signal level (or 1 dB increase in noise) will make the difference
between copy/response and "CQ in the face."  2 dB will *certainly*
make a significant difference.

The FT4/FT8 data from PSKReporter also includes signal (SNR) strength.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV