[TowerTalk] Fw: Feeding single band HF yagis 500+ ft from the shack

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed May 18 14:02:37 EDT 2022

On 5/18/2022 10:33 AM, Lee Hiers wrote:
> K1DG has a presentation he's done for Contest University.  Per his study
> over time, he estimates that a 1dB improvement in your station results in a
> 6% score increase in a contest.

N6ZFO, who worked as a statistician in big pharma before retiring, did a
statistical analysis of Sweepstakes scores comparing high power to low
power (1,500 to 100W), and came up with a comparable number.

My own observations were from 160M contests, when I was S&P up and down
the band without retuning my amp. The difference in power output varied
by 1 - 1.5 dB. I would call stations I'd miss on a second pass, and
failing to work them, retune to get back to full power and work them.

Yes, as Jim Lux says, could be prop, but this happened often enough for
me to believe it was probably power.

Copyability of a signal is largely signal to noise ratio. In my
professional life in pro audio, I did voice paging in office buildings
in the presence of background noise (largely HVAC systems, but also
office noises). When balancing those systems, a change of 1-2 dB often
made the desired difference.

73, Jim K9YC