[TowerTalk] The difference that 1 db makes

David Gilbert ab7echo at gmail.com
Wed May 18 15:00:54 EDT 2022

I did this analysis for CW signals several years ago, but it should
still be valid.  I called it the "minimal discernible difference". It
doesn't show how many QSOs an extra dB or two will give you, but it does
give a fairly decent indication for the effect on copy.  The method I
used to create the files is described as well.

http://www.ab7e.com/weak_signal/mdd.html

The Cliff Notes version is that my conclusion is that 1 dB can make a
marginal difference, and 2 dB will make a noticeable one.  It would be
fairly simple for someone to use that same methodology to generate
similar files with a much larger number of callsigns, and anyone could
then determine the effect of a dB or two on the percentage of copied
callsigns.

I think it is also noteworthy to check out the effect of code speed on
intelligibility in weak signal (relative to the noise level) situations.

73,
Dave   AB7E