[TowerTalk] Feeding single band HF yagis 500+ ft from the shack

Steve Jones n6sj at earthlink.net
Wed May 18 16:37:38 EDT 2022

Dave,
One more thought:  Years ago I put a 2-element quad on top of a 150' Douglas fir, 800 feet uphill from my cabin in a canyon.  I used 800' of open-wire feeders that I built myself, in 100' lengths.  I used #18 bare copper wire with acrylic plastic spacers made of lengths of 1/4" diameter stock.  I spaced the wires 2 inches apart.  I fashioned a 10 gauge wire substitute tip for my Weller soldering iron, in the shape of a "Y".  For each spacer, I heated the wire with the Y and laid the spacer between the legs of the Y.  The heat melted the plastic and allowed me to embed the wire halfway through the spacer.  I put each 100' length under tension with the wires spaced 2" apart and worked my way down the line, heating and placing spacers every foot or so.  Once I had fabricated eight 100' lengths, I spliced them together.  Used TV standoff insulators on trees to support the feedline and up the antenna tree.  I spliced on a 15 foot length of flexible high power twin lead to connect to the quad feedpoint.  I tied all three (10-15-20M) feedpoints together at that point.  Had a 500W amp at the shack in the cabin and worked the world.  After windstorms I would occasionally need to hike the line and find a break where a branch had hit it and repair it with a propane torch.  This stayed up for 4 years.  You might consider using the open wire feeder between your shack and the distant antennas with high power baluns transitioning to coax at each end.
GL es 73,
Steve
N6SJ