[TowerTalk] 1 or 2 dB

Kim Elmore cw_de_n5op at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 19 20:03:39 EDT 2022

This is close to the right idea... Here's a gedanken experiment: have a
1 dB difference in power on even vs odd minutes over a single contest at
a major station. Execute a non-parametric permutation test where the
statistic tested is the difference between the total score for even
minutes and the total score for odd minutes. The station would have to
ensure a 1 dB difference between P_out_even_minute and P_out_odd_minute
on all bands. This will yield a p-value for the difference, where the
p-value is defined as the probability that the difference occurs by
random chance. Thus the lower the p-value, the smaller the probability
that the difference is de to random chance. This way, we can test the 1
dB hypothesis with all other parameters held constant because there is
no physical reason for the score of all the even minutes and all the odd
minutes to be different. The problem could even be made band specific:
on what band or bands is a 1 dB difference most likely detectable in the
score?

This is a great gedanken experiment because it holds everything constant
*except* P_out. It would require a fair bit of effort at a big
multi-multi contest station to get the best, most definitive data set.
Alas, no major contester in their right mind would do this because they
are in it to maximize their score, not to experiment with 1 dB.
Regardless, this is about the only way the problem can be approached
while isolating all other variables.

Kim N5OP