[TowerTalk] Comtek stack unit failure

kq2m at kq2m.com kq2m at kq2m.com
Sat Nov 5 23:04:03 EDT 2022

Hi Ignacy,

In 2011 I had a failure of my ACB-80, 16 years after I bought it (1995).
  I sent it back to Comtek for repair, paid for the repair and received
it back.  Unfortunately I was extremely ill at the time and was unable
to put it back in the field.  (I was not operating at all).  A few weeks
before CQWWCW 2013, I rebuilt my 80 M 4-square and noticed that there
STILL was no F/B of F/S.  After inspecting it, I saw nothing obvious so
I attempted to contact Comtek - by this point Comtek had been sold to DX
Engineering - so I sent it to them for repair.  They were kind enough to
repair it at no cost to me and ship it back to me via 2 day UPS (also at
no cost!).

Rod, K2RR told me at that time that the tech had discovered numerous
cold solder joints underneath the circuit board as well as some debris -
which together caused the malfunctions.

I received it back the night before CQWWCW and it worked perfectly!  I
was thrilled with the fabulous service of DX Engineering and really
annoyed at the lousy service of Comtek which obviously did NOT test my
unit two years before to make sure that it was working properly before
sending it back to me.

Of course we all know now that DX Engineering bought Comtek and the
Comtek units are no longer being built.  In Spring 2022, one of the
relays immolated and I sent it to DX Engineering for repair - and am
happy to report another exceptional job by them, replacing the still
functional but badly corroded old Comtek relays which were likely to
catch fire as well.

Cold solder joints.  Check.  Relay issues.  Check_

In fairness, I have not had any trouble with my Comtek ACB-40, now 27
years old.

I have no real complaints.  It's not realistic to not expect problems
with units that live outdoors in an extreme wx environment continuously
for 25+ years.  For what I paid for the units and all the use I have
gotten out of them and the performance that they have delivered for that
long, I consider myself pretty fortunate.

73

Bob, KQ2M