[TowerTalk] Add on 3" mast brake?

Leeson leeson at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 14 23:04:39 EST 2022

I do two things here on windy ridge: when the power's off I use relays
to put a short circuit across the DC motor in the prop pitches and also
the TIC Ring (2-motor). A DC motor with shorted terminals acts as a
brake all by itself.

Also, I use the bigger BMW rubber coupling ("flexdisc" or "guibo") from
the 750il and 850ci, PN 26-22-1-229-065. Kurt made me a lovely adapter
plate setup for the prop pitch from my drawings.

A while ago, I did an rough analysis of the rotating forces from wind
shear and vortices, and am convinced that even a completely symmetrical
antenna will suffer from the resulting buffeting.

To keep the shaft and gear together in various rotators, I use green
600-series Loctite bearing retainer between the gear and the shaft (609
or 638 for really tough situations). That keeps the key from giving way
on the shaft and causing play.

Dave