[TowerTalk] Fwd: Anchoring

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 18 00:51:22 EST 2022

On 11/17/2022 18:33, Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk wrote:
I used the same type as the utility companies. They are a lot cheaper if
you buy them from a utility supply house. Anyhow I put them in with the
hep of a sledgehammer and a break-iron. We were two to do it. You turn
the helix anchor as far as you can. then you hit it a few times with the
sledgehammer and continue turning. The idea is that the screw-anchor
should be set in "undisturbed soil" to get maximum strength.

I looked at those when I was buying the utility pole thimble eyes.

My concern was, despite that big elaborate screw, depending on the
model, there was a few tack welds, or one relative short weld around the
shaft to hold it.

Crack that, and the anchor slips out, leaving the screw in the hole, and
tower on the ground.

Kurt