[TowerTalk] Anchoring

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 18 15:43:15 EST 2022

> I have never seen one however a bust open type anchor is mentioned on W8JI's
> site: https://www.w8ji.com/screw_in_guy_anchors.htm

I've seen them, played with one.  The power companies here use their
hydraulic auger to turn the thimble eye, and expand these.  They drill
the hole, then press the thimble eye with this on the end into the
bottom, then rotate the rod to expand the anchor, using an "impact"
setting on the hydraulic motor.  It sounds like a jackhammer as it
rotates.  I watched them install one on the edge of my land one day.

I played with one, greased it up so the petals would slip, couldn't turn
it enough, even with levers, sledge hammers, even a truck couldn't open
it up.

I THINK, the threaded portion is on the inside/bottom, so wouldn't work
reversed, as a cup in the hole, without the risk of the "nut" popping
loose from the inside and the anchor slipping out.

Kurt