[TowerTalk] Radial Ends Buried???

Lux, Jim jim at luxfamily.com
Sat Nov 19 10:10:37 EST 2022

On 11/18/22 2:10 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On 11/18/2022 1:28 PM, Wes wrote:
>> By serendipity, I measured the input impedance of one radial against
>> all of the others and it's resonant at 1.84 MHz.
>
> About ten years ago, I did the experiment of modeling a pair of
> radials cut to a free-space resonance,  starting with them as close as
> NEC2 would allow it, and raising them in small increments to several
> feet. VF with that closest contact was about 0.7. By 3-4 ft, was close
> to free space, taking the #14 THHN jacket into account. I also did
> some measurements of THHN #14 pairs laying on the ground, but don't
> recall the result.

To a first order, the propagation speed slows as sqrt((1+epsilon)/2)
(i.e. it's like being immersed in a dielectric of half air/half epsilon)

The interesting aspect is that for a dipole (or a wire) on the surface,
a large fraction of the power radiates into the soil, the fraction is
epsilon ^(3/2), so with soil with epsilon 15, about 58 times as much
power goes into the soil, as opposed to radiates up in to the air. So
radials work a LOT better on poor rocky soil than on "good wet" soil.

If you want the theory: Rutledge, D. and M. Muha (1982). "Imaging
antenna arrays." IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation 30(4):
535-540.