[TowerTalk] New York state wind survival requirements for antennas

JVarney jvarn359 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 13:23:25 EST 2022

Gerry KA2MGE wrote:
>>I have a few questions regarding antenna wind survival
>>requirements in NY state and possibly the whole US. A
>>local building inspector is telling me that just like
>>with towers, NY requires any antenna mounted
>>on a tower to be able to withstand a 3-second wind
>>gust at 115 mph, but I know that can't be right.

In general here's how design wind speeds are
determined:

* The city, county or state adopts the Int'l Bldg Code
* IBC in Chapter 31, Section 3108, defers all design
  matters relating to towers to the TIA-222-H code.
* TIA-222-H requires a site-specific design wind
  speed determination
* On the web the ASCE 7 Hazard Tool provides a
  map-based tool to get the basic wind speed.
  The default in TIA for amateur radio towers is
  a 300-year wind storm (Class I Risk).  If a
  falling tower might endanger people, i.e.,
  your neighbor's house is in the fall zone,
  then a 700-year wind storm is prudent
  (Class II).

The state, county or city can pass ordinances or
regulations that override TIA-222-H if they want.
That should be formally approved in writing by
the local agency, not just an opinion by an
inspector.

Jim Varney, P.E. (Calif.), K6OK