[TowerTalk] MFJ-259

KD7JYK DM09 kd7jyk at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 27 16:03:33 EST 2022

On 11/27/2022 08:37, Grant Saviers wrote:
> The MFJ259 is pretty useless in an RF environment.

I also found they will vary in SWR indication from zero to infinity
depending on the antenna relative to it's surroundings, even when
theoretically perfect, AND, the two oddest, static on the meter faces,
rubbing dust from them can cause them to swing wildly, and hold at some
funky reading, even when no antenna is connected, and, dust between the
case joints, especially anything piezoelectric, like silica, with meter
readings swinging wildly with pressure from holding the unit.

I had to keep mine super clean, placed aluminum screen over the meters
for ESD, and remove paint, and place star washers between case pieces to
ensure bonding.

Over-all, a pretty funky piece of test equipment, but works great- when
it works great, I think, I'm not sure mine ever did.  Well, maybe a
couple times.

Kurt